Dell/Perc5 raid/MPT SAS Integrated Raid Write Performance

Tom Judge tom at tomjudge.com
Fri Jun 8 11:06:45 UTC 2007

Filip Palian wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've also encountered problems with write performnce on PE860, below are
> some details.

I believe that a fix for this went into RELENG_6 this week.
Scott Long MFC'd the following fix at 2007-06-05 21:32:57.

Tom

Commit Message:

scottl      2007-06-03 23:13:05 UTC

   FreeBSD src repository

   Modified files:
     sys/dev/mpt          mpt.c mpt.h mpt_cam.c
   Log:
   mpt.c:
   mpt.h:
           Add support for reading extended configuration pages.
   mpt_cam.c:
           Do a top level topology scan on the SAS controller.  If any
SATA device are discovered in this scan, send a passthrough FIS to set
the write cache.  This is controllable through the following tunable at
boot:
     hw.mpt.enable_sata_wc:
           -1 = Do not configure, use the controller default
            0 = Disable the write cache
            1 = Enable the write cache

           The default is -1.  This tunable is just a hack and may be
           deprecated in the future.

Turning on the write cache alleviates the write performance problems
with SATA that many people have observed.  It is not recommend for those
who value data reliability!  I cannot stress this strongly enough.
However,  it is useful in certain circumstances, and it brings the
performence in line with what a generic SATA controller running under
the FreeBSD ATA driver provides (and the ATA driver has had the WC
enabled by default for years).