hd device names

NOC Meganet tec at mega.net.br
Fri Jun 1 13:11:36 UTC 2007

Hi all
I am not sure if this is exactly the right list but perhaps some could point
me to it.

I think it is not the best way having different hard disk device names. I
think it should be generally hd or something independent of type, driver or
controller.

Once I had trouble because I needed to change the MB and the new one called
the first SATA ad8 and not ad4

Now I was terrible bitten by a ahd controller failure and I had no suitable
backup card on site and decided to put an aac card in, so here it was not da
anymore it was aacd which caused me a long down time of my cluster because
the hardware maintainer was not trained to get the fstab change done.

So long story short question, is there any link trick so that I can prepare my
servers for something like that otherwise I would like to make such a
suggestion to the project people.

Meyer

Prowip Telecom Ltda
AS 22706