Which SMP CPU for FreeBSD 6.2?

Jack Toering Jack.Toering at LeadingEdgeITA.com
Tue Jul 17 20:47:05 UTC 2007

It's been a couple years since I had to buy another dedicated server.  Back
then the AMD Opteron had it hands down.  The trade press seems to be
indicating the pendulum has swung the other way and AMD is in trouble,
especially since the Barcelona miss.  Also, over the past two years I've
read how code is optimized more for the Intel.  I'd like your opinion on
which way to go on a new server by picking one for each category.  For the
same price I can get:

$159.00 Range
Dual Opteron 246
Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz