UDP performance.

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Wed Feb 28 14:08:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 01:06:33 -0800, Peter Losher <Peter_Losher at isc.org>
wrote:

> Ivan Voras wrote:
>
> > I agree in general, but MySQL performance is very exposed as an
> > advocacy issue - it has traditionally been the source of statements
> > like "FreeBSD's threading implementation is weak/bad/broken".
>
> And these days ISC can't consciously recommend FreeBSD for use on
> high-traffic DNS servers because UDP performance has (frankly) gone
> downhill since 5.x.
> [..snipped..]
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2006-September/011748.html

if UDP performance in 6.x and 7.x has dropped, this could even affect voip
applications/servers such as asterisk when run on FreeBSD. most all use
RTP for media traffic and RTP is nearly always UDP generating up to 50
packets per second per call per direction.

14,000+ packets per second is only about 140 calls.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)   http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/