FreeBSD Scaling on 6.2-RELEASE?

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 14:07:23 UTC 2007

> I'm looking at new machines for high access forums / DB
> and wonder if anyone has any experience with how well
> FreeBSD specifically 6.2 scales on Dual Quad Core Intel's.
>
> We have some Dual Dual Core's here but I'm considering
> the Quad Core upgrade but am a little concerned that
> this may start to become OS limited given the 8 Cores.
>
> The software we will be running is vBulletin so apache +
> php and mysql.
>
> Does anyone have any experience / results they can share?

Just read http://osnews.com/story.php/17342/Breakthrough-in-MySQL-Performance-on-FreeBSD
where FreeBSD shows very promising performance on more than 4 cpu's
running mysql. (But) the results are based on current (7.0). This can
be proven stable "enough" though if the server can be exposed to
real-world traffic.

regards
Claus