: 6.x, 4.x ipfw/dummynet pf/altq - network performance issues

Justin Robertson justin at sk1llz.net
Sat Feb 17 08:53:16 UTC 2007

   Sack was never enabled, the packets in the flood had sack set.
rtmaxcache was default, what made you think I had changed it? I was not
running SMP, as I explained.

  More over suggestions to do ether.ipfw result in terrible performance,
etc. A 4.11 bridge and 4.11 router in series move all packets without
issue. I'll play with rtexpire and rtmin

garcol at postino.it wrote:
> Hi,
>      if you disable sack, what's happend?
> (sysctl net.inet.tcp.sack.enable=0)
> (Are Memory and cpu OK?)
>

> For route problem you can set this to a low value, for example 10
> sysctl net.inet.ip.rtexpire: 10
> See http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/securing-freebsd.html
>
> Why do you modify this?, reset to original 4.x values.
> net.inet.ip.rtmaxcache=1024
>

> Try to set this to 0 disable the optimization of the bandwidth delay product for all TCP connections (but it's useful on GE interface).
> sysctl net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable=0
>

> If you use a SMP kernel you can try to set this or try to set anyway:
>
> sysctl machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=1
> sysctl machdep.cpu_idle_hlt=0
>
> See  kern/83406: [smp] em/bge drivers: severe performance loss under SMP
>

> Let's me know
> Regards
> Alessandro

Justin