Gaim log writing delays the system

Alejandro Pulver alepulver at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 23 02:21:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:57:47 -0300
Alejandro Pulver <alepulver at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have enabled logging in Gaim, and when a chat message arrives and it
> is logged the disk writing delays (freezes) the system for less than a
> second, it can be noticed for example with XMMS which does a strange
> sound during that period.
>
> I think this problem is related to the system and not the port, that's
> why I asked here. Also I guess more information is needed about this,
> like ktrace/truss output of Gaim together with kernel statistics
> (vmstat/iostat). But other than ktrace, I don't use them. What would be
> the commands to get the most relevant information about this?
>
> I am using FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE, and the boot message is here (the file
> dmesg_machine_2.txt):
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~alepulver/disk-crash.tar.bz2
>
> I posted this in freebsd-hackers@ and got no answer, maybe this is the
> right place.
>
> Thanks and Best Regards,
> Ale
>
> P.S.: please CC me as I'm not subscribed.

Hello.

The issue only happens with gaim-devel, and seems to be related to the
sound system (doesn't happen when disabling sounds).

Sorry for the noise, I've been somewhat paranoid with this because it
happened when I had a broken NVidia card (or incompatible with my
motherboard), and some disk problems (these were apparently fixed in
FreeBSD 6.2). So I thought it was a kernel problem (it happened on a
machine with an old disk and on a new one so I discarded the
possibility of hardware failing).

Anyways the system does freeze for less than a second when that
happens. I will make a more descriptive thread about this.

Best Regards,
Ale