Java performance on AMD64

Michael Vince mv at thebeastie.org
Thu Apr 19 03:05:47 UTC 2007

Hey All,
I been benchmarking Diablo Java under AMD64 on 6.2R and using the same
methods I posted a while ago detailed somewhat here
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2006-August/005576.html

The difference here is that libthr now works under Amd64.
But it appears libthr to be about half the speed of libpthread under
AMD64 mode which is the opposite behavior when using it under i386.
The only other difference is that I am now using a 4 core server (total)
Intel Core2 cpus, I tried testing under a dual core (total) server and
the performance was just about exactly neck and neck between libpthread
and libthr which is also somewhat wierd.
The servers are under stock 6.2R and I did have a multi IP jail patch
applied and I tried removing that and it had no difference on performance.

Does any one know with there is such a large amount of difference of
behavior between i386 and Amd64 on Java?

Thanks,
Mike