FreeBSD-6.1 reboots due to high mbufs

Tek Bahadur Limbu teklimbu at wlink.com.np
Tue Apr 3 07:10:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 04:25:06 -0400
Gary Stanley <gary at velocity-servers.net> wrote:

> At 02:43 AM 3/30/2007, Tek Bahadur Limbu wrote:
>
> >I have squid proxy server running on a FreeBSD-6.1 (amd) box. I have
> >been facing this problem for sometime now. It's related to mbufs.
> >For some reasons, my mbufs usage is extremely high. This high mbufs
> >usage causes slow responses from Squid and in rare occasions, it
> >even causes my server to reboot or locks out SSH sessions.
> >
> >This FreeBSD-6.1 squid box serves about 3000-4000 users.
> >

> Lower your net.inet.tcp.{recv,send}space to 32768, or 16384

Hi Gary,

I am sorry for the late reply.

I had lowered my net.inet.tcp.{recv,send}space to 16384/32768.

It seemed to help lower the mbufs usage at first but after about 2-3 days, the mbufs usage is almost the same.

I am looking into the sysctls forwarded by Alessandro.

I will continue to monitor net.inet.tcp.{recv,send}space values too.

Thanking all of you.

- --

With best regards and good wishes,

Yours sincerely,