LINUX vs FreeBSD mysql performance using a large RT database

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Fri Oct 20 20:29:16 UTC 2006

At 04:06 PM 10/20/2006, Ed Maste wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 02:57:46PM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
> > With all the threads about poor FreeBSD performance, I wanted to test
> > it out myself to see how 64bit LINUX would compare using the same hardware.
>[ snip ]
>
>It seems your message ended up with some unfortunate line wrapping,
>which made it a little hard to see at a glance what the results were.

Sorry about that, my 21 inch Radiation Master has a very wide res ;-)

>Scott sent me them reformatted as:
>
>                                                   BSD     LINUX
>time mysql rt3 all.out (full import)              106m    123m
>first full content search                         35.92   45.29
>Second content search after first full content
>   search                                          24.66   26.14
>Subject search                                    0.48    0.35
>4 different select scripts run at the same time
>   on different tables                             62      59
>create index Subject_IDX on Tickets (Sub          8.29    7.12
>
>If this is what you measured, the results look fairly competitive.
>Thanks for performing this real-world test and posting this info.

As I was saying to gnn offlist, you can look at these numbers all sorts of ways

e.g. you could look at these results and say

"so the import takes a long time, big deal. you only do that
once!  Look at the index, its 15% faster!"

or

"the index creation is barely a second... a second, big whoop.  Look
at the time to import, thats a big difference!"

or... You are just measuring the quality of the driver or the speed
of the disks etc etc... or "try 40 queries at the same time and you
will see a BIG difference".... well, when my requirements get to 40
queries at once, great, I will focus testing on those requirements!

For me, this exercise was very much driven by my own need to
understand if there really would be a big (I mean > 50% in *my* world
tests) to make it worth while to use LINUX that is (for me anyways)
more cumbersome and less stable to administer (read more $$$$ and
headache).  I have to be practical about the boxes I manage.  Put
another way, if the same gear under FreeBSD is 10% slower than LINUX,
the one time cost for me to buy hardware that will be 10% faster is
laughably trivial.... The on going cost (let alone GNU vs BSD for our
OEM products we put out) is WAY more.

The next set of comparisons I want to run is in our spam
scanners.  The boxes which operate in round robin make heavy use of
mysql, DNS lookups, perl, net io etc etc.  That one I am quite
interested in and will post the results in a week or two.

         ---Mike