Performance 4.x vs. 6.x

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 20:13:45 UTC 2006

The fact that a processor has 2 cores doesn't
mean you have to use them, just like a MB with 2
sockets doesn't need both to be used. If the OS
is faster with 1 processor than 2, then you only
use one of the cores. The concept that you have
to fire up both of them just because they're
there is just stupid.

Freebsd 4.11 is dead because of a stupid decision
but people who thought that MP would have been
working 2 years ago. They continue to not be able
to promise any scalability in the foreseeable
future, so maybe they need to revisit the
decision.

"supporting" 4.11 only means making it work with
new devices, not porting everything back. The
only things necessary would be SATA and a bunch
of NICs. Most MBs work with 4.x so its not a big
maintenance project.

DT