Performance 4.x vs. 6.x

Derrick T. Woolworth dwoolworth at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 12:26:32 PDT 2006

What a load...

Here's a report...

I have over 800 nodes installed in the field with FreeBSD 6.0 running
as routers on silly little 1.3Ghz machines with 256MB of RAM.  They
run Apache/PHP/wSSL enabled, MySQL, dual-firewall with custom NetGraph
module for Wireless MAC authentication.  The company does over 180k a
month in subscribers in the trucking industry in the US.

The company has TWO network administrators who do very little during
the day because the machines NEVER die.  If they do, 99.9% of the time
its hardware related.

I built those systems in 2 months and they support remote rollout of a
new operating system snapshot and they're preparing to rollout 7.0
when its stable.  I no longer work there - only on occassion when they
need assistance.

Internally, I have 50 FreeBSD machines hosting over 600 complex web
applications that my firm has built over the last 11 years using ONLY
FreeBSD.  Currently, they're all running FreeBSD 6.0 and later and "I"
am the only network administrator in the company.  If I was running
anything else (which, we do run some Windows machines and they are the
bain of my existence...) I would be too busy to do anything else.

One of our largest systems has redundant load-balancers with three
presentation boxes serving web pages out of memory - again, Apache
w/PHP.  These boxes build 200+ page 300dpi PDF documents for high
school year books (including LOTS of 300+ dpi student and faculty
images).  They're supported by two mid-sized database machines, one
read, one write (replicated, obviously) that do 200 to 500 queries per
second at busy times during the day.  Graphic data is all stored on
SATA data storage systems, which after a bit of tweaking scale really
well using NFS and Jumbo Frames - bound multiple NICs with the ng_fec
module (thank you thank you guys)...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, once the system was setup, I haven't had
to touch it - and even "braver" yet, these 2 load balancers, 3
presentation machines, 2 database machines and 2 1.4TB data storage
boxes ALL run 7.0-CURRENT.  Call me stupid, brave, whatever - but 7.0
, with the snapshot release I got is the fastest I have ever seen
FreeBSD run, regardless of the fact the hardware is fast.  I've tuned
each machine using the online docs and a bit of help from PHK and Juli
Malette...

Interesting stat - from 10 other machines, I used ab to toss some hits
at these boxes.  Like:

ab -n 1000 -c 20 <url>

The page hit was a test page that did reading and writing, several
times to the database and read an image, used MagickWand to resample
them and write the image back.

The average time for the test took 4 to 5 seconds.  I achieved around
~220 requests per second per test machine with 75 to 100ms per
request.

I don't want to feed the trolls either, but sometimes performance is
achieved because you take the time to read and don't just install the
OS "as-is" and expect it to work well on all hardware.  When
configured properly, in my opinion, FreeBSD kicks ass.

Derrick T. Woolworth, President
ServeTheWeb, LLC.  http://www.ServeTheWeb.com