DNS Performance Numbers

Marcelo Gardini do Amaral marcelo at registro.br
Thu Nov 23 12:13:37 UTC 2006

> The FreeBSD pthread library and BIND don't work well together.  If
> you use the libthr library, performance goes up.

I still didn't make tests with this lib, but I rebuilt everything on
FreeBSD 6.0 and got nice numbers:

DNS performance numbers on FreeBSD 6.0

                                queries / s

Int     bind (d_t)      bind (e_t)      nsd (1_s)       nsd (2_s)
---     ----------      ----------      ---------       ---------
bge-UP   39682		26004		42070		41983
bge-SMP  37401		18272		42313		41092

d_t: disable threads
e_t: enable threads (libpthread)
1_s: 1 server forked
2_s: 2 server forked

Bind: 9.2.3
NSD: 3.0.2
bge: HP Blade BL35p, Broadcom NIC, FreeBSD 6.0
Client: Dell 1750, Intel NIC, FreeBSD 4.11 UP running queryperf

And running Bind 9.4.0b4 on the same setup:

                                queries / s

Int     bind (d_t)      bind (e_t)      bind (e_a)
bge-SMP  37470		39063		39035

d_t: disable threads
e_t: enable threads (libpthread)
e_a: enable threads and enable atomic

Well, bge 'get along' in UDP traffic on FreeBSD 6.0.

--
Att.,

Marcelo Gardini
NIC .br