em forwarding performance (was Proposed 6.2 em RELEASE patch

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Wed Nov 22 13:09:47 UTC 2006

Hi Mike,

Thank you for spending that much time for benchmarking, this is really
interesting.

Though this is a little bit off topic, I'm quite puzzled by the fact
that having filtering rules on Linux or not doesn't change the result
much.  NetFitler keeps track of *all* connections even if there are no
ruleset loaded -- you don't have to ask for it, so I guess you are
simply wiping filtering rules, but you don't disable connection
tracking.  AFAIK, you can only disable it by either unloading the
`conntrack'' module or recompiling the kernel without it, if built in.

It would be interesting to know the real performance of Linux as a mere
router if we want a true comparision with FreeBSD performances.

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen