packet drop with intel gigabit / marwell gigabit

Jin Guojun [VFFS] g_jin at lbl.gov
Mon Mar 27 04:42:57 UTC 2006

OxY wrote:

> what kind of details should i attach? to analyze the problem?

Assume that you have process A to cause process B dropping packets:

Step (1):
Run B only -- what is the maximum through without packet drop?
                   what is the CPU utilization?
                   what type of traffic (protocol -- TCP, UDP, etc.)
does B use?
                   does B have other I/O? If so, how much is the I/O
bandwidth used?

Step (2):
reRun B and involving A gradually (increasing A's wieght) till B drops
packets.
    provide all above statistics for A and B at this point (where drop
starts).

One thing I missed in your original post what protocol drops packet --
TCP or UDP?

    -Jin