packet drop with intel gigabit / marwell gigabit

Jin Guojun [VFFS] g_jin at lbl.gov
Mon Mar 20 03:04:03 UTC 2006

OxY wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jin Guojun (VFFS)" <g_jin at lbl.gov>

Yes, this is one of problem chipset. I bought one about 3 years ago.
After one day testing, I returned it for changing a A7V600 (VIA KT600
chipset),
which is 30% more memory bandwidth than KT400. A7V600 can only receive max
604 Mb/s TCP, so You can imagine what the KT400 can do :-)
I do not have a record (because it is too bad), but taking minimum 25% off,
it probably about 420-430 Mb/s (50MB/s). Now you can do the math when the
machine also writing data to a disk (assume disk a fast enough). I would
expect
2/3 of 430 Mb/s, which is about 280~290 Mb/s (35 MB/s).
If you experiment these numbers, you are at there. No improvement you
can make
further.

> i have an ABIT BE7
> (http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=BE7&fMTYPE=Socket%20478&pPRODINFO=Specifications)
>
> resting somewhere, could it improve the network performance
> with a P4-2.4GHZ(533FSB)?
> (i don't want Intel-AMD flame :) )

AMD is good. As I mentioned earlier, it is motherboard shipset make's
problem.
I like AMD CPU, and I amd writing from A7V600 with AMD XP 2100+ :-)

The ABIT motherboard has an Intel 845 chipset, which has very good
memory bandwidth.
You should be able to saturate your GigE interface on this motherboard.
If you have problem to obtain the performance, we can tune it .
Good luck!

    -Jin