HP Smart Array 6i opinions

Wilko Bulte wb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 8 11:06:58 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 09:27:50AM -0600, Matt Hartzell wrote..
> I have used the 6i n the same situation. RAID5 performance with 3 - 36
> GB SCSI disk is acceptable.
>
> I have never had a disk fail on these controllers so I can't comment on
> fail over.
>
> The util's on http://people.freebsd.org/~jcagle/ don't seen to work
> under 6.x, however status messages are sent to the console and can be

Well, you need to put libc.so.5 plus libpthread.so.<mumble> from a RELENG_5
machine on your RELENG_6 machine and then they work.

ldd hpasm* tells you which libraries exactly you need.  One of the
2 is statically linked by the way (I forgot which one)

> sent to syslog.  camcontrol devlist will give you a quick status (OK or
> REBUILDING)
>
> For me it is workable solution.
>

> kama wrote:
>
> >I have used the whole range (or somewhat) for internal SA's. Starting with
> >the internal one in DL380R1 and up to G4.
> >
> >Performance of 6i in freebsd is better than 5i, but worse than if you
> >insert a external card (6402/6404). I mostly use the internal SA as
> >systemdisk only on systems with a lot of disk IO. A single write is OK,
> >but multiple rw's are not its best side. I had some performance data a
> >year ago regarding the different setups, but Im afraid they are long gone
> >now.
> >
> >I have not have any problems with a recover. But it takes time. 18GB
> >~15-20 mins on 5i. dunno on 6i... I have yet to get a failure on those
> >servers.
> >
> >http://people.freebsd.org/~jcagle/ is available. But it screams to the
> >console and logs when something occurs, so there are other options to
> >report an error.
> >
> >/Bjorn
> >
> >On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Steven Hartland wrote:
> >

> >>Has anyone had any dealings with the HP Smart Array 6i?
> >>
> >>Specifically looking for info on:
> >>* Performance
> >>* Disk failure recover
> >>* Available tools for monitoring etc.
> >>
> >>  Regards
> >>  Steve
> >>

> >>================================================
> >>This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. and
> >>the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of
> >>misdirection, the recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing
> >>or otherwise disseminating it or any information contained in it.
> >>
> >>In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission
> >>please telephone (023) 8024 3137
> >>or return the E.mail to postmaster at multiplay.co.uk.

--- end of quoted text ---

--