Benchmark MySQL Performance On FreeBSD And Linux

Michael Vince mv at roq.com
Wed Jan 4 01:52:49 PST 2006

Chris wrote:

>On 01/01/06, Michael Vince <mv at roq.com> wrote:
>

>>huang leo wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, all:
>>>
>>>We had evaluated MySQL performance on FreeBSD and Linux. The result is
>>>attached.
>>>
>>>We are longing for your feedbacks!
>>>

>>>Best regards,
>>>
>>>Leo Huang
>>>

>>Really good work.
>>
>>I gave your results some thought and was thinking that maybe you should
>>check to see if you reached the default 1500 threading limit  of libthr
>>and maybe it needs to be increased, I set mine to 40000 like below.
>>kern.threads.max_threads_per_proc=40000
>>kern.threads.max_groups_per_proc=40000
>>
>>I was thinking it would be good to show threading usage activity with
>>some kind of 1 second loop doing ps -auxwH | grep -c 'mysql' or
>>something like that so we could see what limits its getting to, and so I
>>can have an idea of what I can compare it to on my own servers.
>>
>>Just a suggestion.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Mike
>>

>Well sorry if I am completely wrong here, but that test seems to indicate
>there is a general stability problem with libpthread.  My own experience
>backs up their results since on a production web server with heavy forums I
>have had mysql lockups until I tinkered with the threading settings.

Personally I was surprised by this statement that libpthread wasn't
working for his test, for me it does benchmark a tad slower but I have
always seen libpthread as the most stable threading library.

libthr doesn't work very well at all under amd64 in Java benchmarks
(Java will core in a few minutes of usage) while pthread is much more
reliable.

>I am confused now as their is very little documentation on this, google
>throws up barely anything and my main concern is stability.
>
>Chris

I believe the best thing to do is always just benchmark and use whats
best for you, there is no guarantee with this stuff.

BTW I did a few super smack tests and saw that the thread numbers
doesn't appear to reach thread numbers above 1500 but I only tested with
smaller client numbers.

Mike