good profiling tools

Paul Koch paul.koch at statseeker.com
Mon Feb 13 17:57:27 PST 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:25 am, Bharma Ji wrote:
> Hi
> I am lookign for good and reliable profiling tools that work on
> FreeBSD. I am using gprof but am wondering if there are better tools
> out there. Also is there any GUI on top of gprof
> Thanks for any answers

In our development environment, we currently use:
 - gcc with every possible warning turned on (-Wall is not enough)
 - gprof for function level profiling
 - dmalloc for memory leak detection
 - valgrind (doesn't work on FreeBSD-64 though)
 - cachegrind (part of valgrind) for cache hit/miss profiling

	Paul.