Dual-core CPU vs. very large cache

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Thu Apr 27 16:41:56 UTC 2006

Steven Hartland wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Jakubik" <mikej at rogers.com>
>>
>> Just look around the list on the continuous problems people have with
>> that and the nve card. I would never feel safe putting these in
>> production.
>
> I would agree with nve but not had any problems with bge
> here and we put them under quite a bit of load as busy
> DB, Web, FTP and Samba servers not to mention metric tone
> of game servers.

Sure, not to say they are all broken, but many do have problems, so it
becomes a gamble.

> If you want a specific netcard nothing to stop you putting
> in a PCI-X card which is what we do when we want Fibre, you
> dont tend to find many MB netcards are fibre :)

Yes there is, i need a 1U single Opteron board, with 2 integrated cards.
I guess the current AMD offerings do not meet my requirements. I am
working on a commercial product, which is an all in one 1U appliance
(running fbsd of course), and i had to go with Intel just for reasons of
availability, stability, and support.