mysql tests - one more thing to try

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Wed Apr 5 18:52:30 UTC 2006

I'm not subscribed to -performance, hence why this isn't a true reply...

I noticed that Steve said:

---
Looking at this on a dual box here ( waiting for the new MB for dual dual
core )
All the time is spent processing super-smack and only 25% on mysqld.
---

If you're willing to spend more time looking at this, I suggest that you
run truss or ktrace on the super-smack processes.  I did a small amount of
mysql vs postgres vs firebird benchmarking two years ago for a class
project, and noticed that mysql's results were showing the same phenomena
- our test program was using more cpu than mysqld.  I run truss on our
test program and found that it was doing ONE BYTE READS from the socket,
rather than something larger.

I never had the time to see if the problem was fixed at a later time or
not.  You may wish to see if that same condition is still happening.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack