SATA: RAID 5 controller recommendations

ray at redshift.com ray at redshift.com
Wed Oct 19 16:23:32 PDT 2005

At 11:04 AM 10/19/2005 -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
| At 07:23 PM 18/10/2005, ray at redshift.com wrote:
| >At 11:36 PM 10/18/2005 +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
| >| Anyone got any SATA RAID 5 controllers they can recommend
| >| 64Bit PCIX.
| >|
| >|     Steve
| >
| >Hi Steve,
| >
| >  I am using the 3Ware 9500S-12 on our servers and like it very
| > much.  It's very
| >easy to setup, very fast and also directly supported by the default
| >Kernel.  You
|
| Speaking of 3ware, has anyone tried out the new 9550SX ?  Price seems
| pretty good compared to the Areca and 3ware claims its much faster
| than their previous generation cards.
|
|          ---Mike

Hi Mike,

  I have been thinking about getting one.  The guy I bought my 3ware 9500S-12
card has one he's getting ready to benchmark.  I asked him to send me the
details and I will pass them along here if I get them.  He did mention it
supports SATA2 - whatever that provides.

  It's supposed to be twice as fast on the speed from what I saw on 3ware's site.

  Speaking of the 9500S-12, I just did some benchmarks using that machine and
MySQL reads/writes.  As compared to a single SATA drive, the server was quite a
bit faster when setup with the raid card and 4 10K Raptor drives.  I have the
benchmarks here if anyone is interested.  I also just ordered 4 more 10K drives
and I'm going to re-run everything in order to see how much of an improvement
adding more drives has.

Ray