SATA: RAID 5 controller recommendations

ray at redshift.com ray at redshift.com
Tue Oct 18 16:23:51 PDT 2005

At 11:36 PM 10/18/2005 +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
| Anyone got any SATA RAID 5 controllers they can recommend
| 64Bit PCIX.
|
|     Steve

Hi Steve,

 I am using the 3Ware 9500S-12 on our servers and like it very much.  It's very
easy to setup, very fast and also directly supported by the default Kernel.  You
just go into the BIOS on the card with Alt+3 when you boot, lay out the raid
however you want, then install FreeBSD as you normally would.  The OS pretty
much sees it as a single volume, although something like fsck can also access
the individual drives in single user mode.  It's a real nice setup and never had
any problems.

Ray