SATA: RAID 5 controller recommendations

Michael VInce mv at roq.com
Wed Nov 2 02:17:06 PST 2005

For SATA I have always been getting the Dell 750s (now 850s) which use
the 'aac'
Adaptec AdvancedRAID Controller driver, do 'man aac' for more details.
Dell supply them with a 64meg cache and are hardware raid, I have always
just installed FreeBSD on them and only 1 hard drive comes up as RAID
should be.

I have only been ordering the machines in dual drive mirror 1 Raid, but
you could get a PowerEdge Tower servers like the 830 which do raid 5, I
never used one though.
Alternatively all the Dell SCSI RAID systems have 256megs cache which
use the LSI Logic MegaRAID ( man amr )
Stay away from the ultra low end SC1425 systems they have some kind of
software based raid.

The thing I have noticed is that if you compare other (often claiming to
be much cheaper) servers from other companies they often really skimp on
their hard drive subsystems with software based stuff claiming its RAID.

I used to be anti Dell and build my own U1 servers from case and up and
had a keen interest in cheap RAID technologies but I gave up a little
while ago.
I believe Dell are great value when you consider their RAID
implementations and as long as you are happy with Intel chips.

Mike