rmt as a bottleneck - Was: Weird behaviour of AIT-3 and (g)tar

Tulio Guimarães da Silva tuliogs at pgt.mpt.gov.br
Mon May 30 09:01:03 PDT 2005

  Updates to an old problem. I´m splitting the original thread in 2,
since there are 2 different questions, one of which I guess is for
-hardware and the other, for -performance, then I´m x-posting this one.

  Here are other things I´ve been experimenting with... first, I´ll
present the machines:
  - Omega: HP ML 110, 512MB RAM, 4x80GB 7200rpm SATA in RAID5 via
HighPoint RR8120A, AIT-3 tape via Adaptec Ultra160;
  - Theta: HP DL 380, 1GB RAM, 6x72.8GB at 10krpm SCSI in RAID5 via HP
Smart Array 6i

  Here´s what I got:

theta# /usr/bin/time -h gtar --atime-preserve --same-owner -cvpf
omega:/home/teste /home/bkp/home/
gtar: Removing leading `/' from member names
home/bkp/home/
home/bkp/home/bkp/
home/bkp/home/bkp/rsh-vulcano.sh
home/bkp/home/bkp/2005-01/
home/bkp/home/bkp/2005-01/vulcano_2005-01-31.tar.gz
^Ctime: command terminated abnormally
        8m24.24s real           0.15s user              0.78s sys

... and then...
omega# ls -laFG /home/teste
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  189020160 May 30 12:02 /home/teste
omega#

this gives me exact 375.040 Bytes/second. then I changed my approach:

omega# /usr/bin/time -h rsh theta gtar --atime-preserve --same-owner -C
/home/bkp -cvpf - home/ >/home/teste1
home/
home/bkp/
home/bkp/rsh-vulcano.sh
home/bkp/2005-01/
home/bkp/2005-01/vulcano_2005-01-31.tar.gz
home/bkp/2005-01/liam_2005-01-24.tar.gz
home/bkp/2005-01/cache_www2005-01-29.tar.gz
^C      9m33.75s real           8.57s user              3m6.08s sys

omega# ls -laFG /home/teste1
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  6396353720 May 30 12:35 /home/teste1
omega#

  Observe that I bypassed rmt; that bumped the transfer rate to
10.976.153,96 Bytes/s, almost 30x faster. Should this really happen?
(And yes, I read rmt(8), but found nothing about this. :(  ).
  Thanks for your help;

Tulio