Bad 3ware 9000 performance 5.4?

Lamont Lucas lamont at cluepon.com
Thu May 19 21:43:33 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 05:13:32AM +0200, Alexis Yushin wrote:
> Running FreeBSD 5.4... three machines with twe/3ware 8000 and three twa/
> 3ware 9500-8 controllers. All of them running RAID 1+0 without write cache
> since we dont have battery backup unit. All of them Seagate 7200 SATA.
>
> I get about 46Mb/s write on the 8000 series and only 5(!)MB/s on the 9500 series.

I recently ran some tests with large sequential writes on a stock
5.4-RC? machine with 4 400GB seagates and a 3ware 9500-12MI.  In those
tests I got roughly 90 MB/s write on a large raid0 stripe and 66 MB/s
on a raid5 setup.  I also do not have the battery backup unit.

Tweaking the stripe size away from the default made only minor changes.
I was also only using a 32 bit pci interface as the motherboard I
was testing with didn't have a 64 bit slot.

I made no changes to the kernel and even let newfs run with the defaults.

That was just a proof of concept run for the larger 9.6 TB 2 9500-12
raid that I'm building tomorrow.  I'll let you know if I run into similar
problems to yours with multiple cards.

--
 - Lamont
"I am not an atomic playboy."