Regression testing (was Re: Performance issue)

Jonathan Noack noackjr at alumni.rice.edu
Tue May 10 12:11:15 PDT 2005

On 5/10/2005 10:18 AM, Bakul Shah wrote:
> This thread makes me wonder if there is value in runing
> performance tests on a regular basis.  This would give an
> early warning of any peformance loss and can be a useful
> forensic tool (one can pinpoint when some performance curve
> changed discontinuously even though at the time of change it
> may be too small to be noticed).  Over a period of time
> one can gain a view of how the performance evolves.
>
> This would not be a single metric but a set of low and high
> level measures: such as syscall overhead, interrupt overhead,
> specific h/w devices, disk and fs performance for various
> filesystems and file sizes, networking data and pkt
> throughput, routing performance, VM, other subsystems, effect
> of SMP, various threading libraries, scaling with number of
> users/programs/cpus/memory, typical applications under normal
> and stressed loads, compile time for the system and kernel
> etc. etc. etc.
>
> The setup would allow for easy addition of new benchmarks
> (the only way anything like this can be bootstrapped).  Of
> course, one would need to record disk/processor/memory speed
> and capacities + kernel config options, system build tools
> and their options to interpret the results as best as
> possible.  For the results to be useful the setup has to
> remain as stable as possible for a long time.
>
> [While I am dreaming...] A follow on project would be to
> create visualization tools -- mainly graphing and comparing
> graphs.  It would be neat if one can click on a performance
> graph to zoom in or see commits made during some selected
> period.
>
> Such a detailed look, combined with profiling can help people
> focus on specific hotspots & feel good about any improvements
> they are making.  This can be a great way to rope in new
> people;-)

Sounds great!  When do you begin?  ;-)

This has been proposed before and has been (to my knowledge) universally
accepted as a Good Idea.  If you have the interest and time to devote to
it, I would urge you to work on it.  The benefit to the community would
be huge.

--
Jonathan Noack | noackjr at alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195