Very low disk performance on 5.x

Andrey Smagin samspeedu at mail.ru
Tue May 3 00:44:05 PDT 2005

Hi ALL,

      I not sure that it only low disk performance, but.
When i copying /usr/src tree from file server (AMD K6-2 225) to my Duron
1133(1GB RAM), speed is about 3-4MBytes/s. But played music on my PC is some
gappy. Also removing /usr/ports tree have same much effect for music. I set
large buffers in all avaliable players(mpg123, mpg321, mplayer, xine, xmms)
on my system (FBSD6.0-current 1 may 05), but it don't have effect.
I think that somthing lock IRQ from sound card(SBLive emu10k1 classic FBSD
driver :) ) or call of SB buffer fill. How to diagnose what uninterruptable
process(or in system function) can to lock CPU for so much time
(1 sound buffer - 4096 bytes 4096/176400=~23ms) ? And, please, help me with
tuning of sound performance. I think it depend from disk issues.

--
Best regards,
 Andrey                            mailto:samspeedu at mail.ru