64bit CPUs

Sten Daniel Sørsdal lists at wm-access.no
Mon May 2 13:58:09 PDT 2005

Mike Tancsa wrote:
> A somewhat obvious question to some perhaps, but what server application
> mix on FreeBSD today sees an improvement using 64bit CPUs ?  In my ISP
> centric world, my big apps are BIND, IMAP/POP3, httpd via apache, SMTP,
> AV and SPAM scanning, and firewalls/routing.  Apart from larger RAM, why
> would these benefit from the 64bit world ?  Or would they ?

Any application that would benefit from being able to copy 64 bits at a
time, i assume. Video applications and perhaps some encryption
applications. Perhaps IPv6 core would have a slight benefit (although
probably not with current code). Almost all the applications that you
mention are doing mostly string operations (afaik). Perhaps VPN tunnels
could benefit (unless of course you use hardware vpns like we do).

--
Sten Daniel Sørsdal