Very low disk performance on 5.x

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Mon May 2 06:28:54 PDT 2005

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <4276281C.6060209 at centtech.com>, Eric Anderson writes:
>
>>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>>>Uhm, if you are using RAID5 and your requests are not aligned and
>>>sized after the RAID5 you should *expect* read performance to be poor.
>>>
>>>If you your request ends up accessing two different blocks even just
>>>once per stripe, this totally kills performance.
>>
>>Wouldn't this be a problem for writes then too?
>

> I presume you would only compare read to write performance on a RAID5
> device which has battery backed cache.
>
> Without a battery backed cache (or pretending to have one) RAID5
> write performance is abysmall no matter which alignment you use.

If I write a 10GB file to disk (RAID array has 1GB cache, system has 1GB
memory), then I should definitely see better read performance reading
that same file back to /dev/null than writing it, right?

How about this - you tell me what test to run, and I'll do it (as long
as it doesn't destory my data).

Eric