vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem is a bit low

Borja Marcos BORJAMAR at SARENET.ES
Tue Mar 15 07:55:36 PST 2005

On 15 Mar 2005, at 16:47, Marc Olzheim wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 04:32:09PM +0100, Dennis Berger wrote:
>> My request can we add white kernel message for the behavier of
>> running out of hashmemory? I'd say stuff it in tuning(7)...

	My rule of thumb is: In case you have a machine with lots of huge
directories (which is _not_ the same as lots of files), in case you see
that vfs.ufs.dirhash_mem is very similar to vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem,
increase vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem until you cannot fill it.

	It's a radical approach, but it gave me very good results in an imap
server with lots of maildir folders. Of course, be sure not to run out
of memory. Run vmstat and check the "sr" column.

	Borja.