NFS small files

Peter Hessler phessler at coverity.com
Wed Mar 9 22:51:55 GMT 2005

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:24:56 -0600
Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> wrote:

:Peter Hessler wrote:
:> I'm setting up an NFS server to be used for compiling, and it seems that
:> while speeds are acceptable for large files, small files take much
:> longer than expected.
:>
:> Copying 10000 16K files (in a directory) takes 54seconds, while copying
:> a 170M single file takes 5s.
:>
:> Are there any tricks for speeding up small file performance?  I'm
:> willing to give up large file performance.
:
:What mount options are you using on the client?
:
:

nfsvers=3,tcp,noac,intr,lock,rsize=65536,wsize=65536 on linux and freebsd
clients.  No speed difference between udp and tcp.

:
:--
:Eric Anderson        Sr. Systems Administrator        Centaur Technology
:I have seen the future and it is just like the present, only longer.