FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 29 12:29:52 GMT 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Steve Roome wrote:

>> The different threading libraries are more for completeness.  In my
>> last test I saw <10% difference between them on amd64.
>
> Well, I finally got some tests out for FreeBSD/i386 with -current, Here
> we go with a bunch of results of FreeBSD 6 with mysql and different
> threading libraries, as for you, there's sadly not enough in it so far.
> Maybe I need to tune a whole bunch of stuff I've missed ?

What version of MySQL are you using?  I saw much better FreeBSD MySQL
performance with 4.0.x than 4.1.x in terms of transactions per second, and
am wondering what changed in MySQL -- did it start using different IPC
primitives, threading primitives, etc?  I realize it complicates testing,
but if you have a chance to compare 4.0.x and 4.1.x across linux and
freebsd, that would be quite helpful, so we can see if there's a change in
relative performance.  Most of my work to optimize MySQL performance with
SMP has been using 4.0.x, FYI, so 4.1.x might require different
optimization strategies.

Robert N M Watson