FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

T.D.Wipnet (H.M.) tec at mega.net.br
Sat Jun 25 22:10:09 GMT 2005

On Saturday 25 June 2005 11:06, Michael Vince wrote:
> configuration file You will more then double your performance if
> you just start off by copying /usr/local/share/mysql/my-large.cnf

you are very fast with your conclusions ...

I am not a system engineer but

IMO it is not as easy as you say

First for answering the thread, IMO, FBSD 4.11 has 20% of performance
benefit comparing to 5.x (means 5.2.1-R 5.3-R and 5.4-R) on i386 as
P-4 and P-3 machines  including AMD

This number I'm talking about is for GW-boxes running squid/proxies -
[natd] - named - ipfw for certain limitations - dummy - mrtg - apache
only for acessing local stats

means also that I am talking about servers with more than 2 NICs

means also that this server are well tuned (for my understandings) and
with more than 2GB of RAM, SCSI UW-320 Adaptec and HD-UW320 and >
2Ghz CPUs

there are appearently several issues on IPFW for FBSD 5.2 and above
which are not resolved (natd,divert,ipfw count etc ...)

even if I do not have exact data I believe on my experience and
especially stats that the performance on 4.11 is superiour to 5.x

On this special issue for MySQL I say: FBSd 5.x gets slowwww with
DB-tables over 10MB and 4.11 does not care, query fast (and here does
matter your personal .cf config)

anyway, seams for me that FBSD5.x is slow on any larger throughput, fs
or nic does not matter and generally 5.x as router/gw do not even get
close to 4.11

My experience is on almost 500 servers we have from 1 to 8 MB
sustained througput each and we tried to migrate to 5.x about more
than 6 month

On Mailservers ore any dedicated server with singleNIC I do *_NOT_*
experience this difficulty[ies] and get sustained throughputs of
8-10MB/s without any problem.

\Hans

--

WIPNET Telecom Ltda. http://wip.mega.net.br