RELENG_4 vs RELENG_5 for mail router

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Thu Jun 23 17:26:27 GMT 2005

We upgraded one of our inbound mail servers from RELENG_4 to
RELENG_5.  Hardware is the same.  Its possible there is a measurement /
reporting issue, not sure

http://www.tancsa.com/upgrade.html

But on the box, it does "feel" faster even at what used to be peak times in
terms of responsiveness-- especially how it now handles big blast of spam.
So it sort of backups up the numbers from that standpoint.

Neither box was overly optimized. Apart from pulling some unused drivers
out of the kernel configs, they were both essentially running GENERIC

         ---Mike

Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                            mike at sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike