High traffic NFS performance and availability problems

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 19 04:26:17 PST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:

> > You could try to cvsup to the latest RELENG_5 on
> > client and server. Are you using udp? Try switching to
> > tcp if not, may not apply to 4.x.
>
> AFAIK, RELENG_4 has a very robust NFS implementation.  I believe that
> switching the client from 4.x to 5.x is a waste of time in the idea of
> improving NFS performance, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think leaving the 4.x clients in a known configuration and just varying
the server configurations the right starting point.  Let's try tracking
the server 5.x stability/performance first, then look into the client 4.x
crash reports.

Robert N M Watson