FreeBSD 5.3 I/O Performance / Linux 2.6.10 | Continued Discussion

Nick Pavlica linicks at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 15:50:07 PST 2005

All,
  I was wondering if any progress has been made in determining the
cause of the poor disk I/O performance illustrated by the testing in
this thread?  Now that 5.3 is labeled as the production stable
version, and 4.x is labeled as legacy,  improving the performance of
the 5.4+ distributions is clearly important.  I know that everyone is
working hard to do this, and wanted to help by testing(retest, etc)
the disk I/O performance on 5.4 devel/final and post the results as
soon as possible.  I would also like others to join me in this testing
effort so that we have as much feedback as possible.  My hope is that
we will start bridging the large disk I/O performance gap demonstrated
in the 4.11 & 5.3 testing.

-  When would be best time to start this testing?
-  What is the preferred method for keeping in sync with the current
devel branch?  I'm assuming cvs-up is the best method.

Thanks!
--Nick Pavlica