new benchmarks. WAS: FreeBSD MySQL still WAY slower than Linux

David Xu davidxu at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 8 16:23:03 PST 2005

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>I've heard this claim again and again, and I intend to look at it when
>I have time.  I find it difficult to believe that this alone could
>explain the sometimes horrendous performance differences (3 to 1) that
>have been reported.
>
>Can somebody tell me:
>
>1.  How many calls there are per second?
>2.  Where they're coming from?  This would involve profiling, of
>    course.
>
>Greg
>--
>See complete headers for address and phone numbers.

You find ktrace result of mysql:
http://people.freebsd.org/~davidxu/mysql/mysql_ktrace.txt
gettimeofday() almost follows every network I/O.

Also you can find its I/O size:
http://people.freebsd.org/~davidxu/mysql/iosize.txt

I guess the gettimeofday() call is relevant to mysql's
connection keepalive work, sounds like a very silly method.

David Xu