changing max_connections in postgresql on FreeBSD 5.4

Jim C. Nasby decibel at decibel.org
Tue Aug 23 01:27:15 GMT 2005

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 11:26:37AM +1000, Michael VInce wrote:
> Also note that I have a MySQL server with a similar table setup and it
> performs a lot better.

If you provide example queries that are performing worse than in MySQL
along with the output of EXPLAIN ANALYZE on them to the PostgreSQL
performance tuning list I'm sure you'd get some help. Include details
about your machine configuration and postgresql.conf variables you've
changed too.

Also, make sure you're actually running MySQL in such a way that it's
ACID compliant; it's very easy to configure it so that your data isn't
safe at all, which would be an apples-oranges comparison to PostgreSQL.
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                decibel at decibel.org