Slow apache response

Shane Ambler Shane at 007Marketing.com
Wed Aug 17 16:28:47 GMT 2005

On 18/8/05 12:51 AM, "Lucas Holt" <luke at foolishgames.com> wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2005, at 4:11 AM, Shane Ambler wrote:
>
>> I am running a traffic exchange site and have just moved to a
>> dedicated
>> server (new server has been running 15 hours).
>>
>> Server is a P4 1.8G with 1024MB RAM
>>
>> Pages seem to be loading slower than the previous virtual server
>> account but
>> looking at top shows idle% to stay above 80
>>
>> The mysql backend is located off the server and has not changed in
>> any way
>> when the web server changed.
>>

> Is it possible that the old apache install had additional modules
> loaded to compress the output?  I think its called mod_gzip in 1.3.
> I'm more familiar with apache 2.  That would make pages load "faster"
> in the sense that less bandwith is required by the client and
> server.   It would use more cpu and may not scale as well in terms of
> total responses.

Could be - I'll see if I can find out - my guess is that as they have used
their own apache package to install it is the same one they use for all bsd
setups (the virtual account was bsd as well) virtual account shows as
4.11-RELEASE-p11 dedicated shows 4.11-RELEASE

The only difference I can find (I can still access the virtual account)
Is mod_prxp that is on the virtual server and not the dedicated

The full list of mods from the dedicated server (from phpinfo())

mod_php4, mod_ssl, mod_setenvif, mod_so, mod_unique_id, mod_log_forensic,
mod_usertrack, mod_headers, mod_expires, mod_cern_meta, mod_proxy,
mod_digest, mod_auth_dbm, mod_auth_anon, mod_auth, mod_access, mod_rewrite,
mod_alias, mod_userdir, mod_speling, mod_actions, mod_imap, mod_asis,
mod_cgi, mod_dir, mod_autoindex, mod_include, mod_info, mod_status,
mod_negotiation, mod_mime, mod_mime_magic, mod_log_config, mod_define,
mod_env, mod_vhost_alias, http_core

Can probably trim this list a bit.

> Also, you said the mysql database hasn't changed and that you were on
> a virtual server.  Was the mysql database on the virtual server?
> There might be more latency to your database.  Are you using a
> compressed or uncompressed mysql protocol?

The mysql server appears to be a dedicated db server provided by webair
(sql5.webair.com)

Standard mysql connection (using mysql_connect(host,user,pwd) in php)

--

Shane Ambler
Sales Department