some simple nfs-benchmarks on 5.4 RC2

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 01:17:32 PDT 2005

> >>I think you are disk bound..  You should not be disk bound at this point with a
> >>good RAID controller..
> > Good point, it's an atabeast from nexsan.
> Looks like they are indeed waiting on disk.. You could try making two 6 disk
> raid5 in your controller, then striping those with vinum.  That might help.
> Possibly, if your controller supports it, setting up the array as JBOD, and then
> use vinum to build your raid 5 (not sure if it will be faster or not).

I had a raid 5 volume with 5 disks (1.6 TB) and did the same dd:

elin% dd if=/dev/zero of=/nfssrv/dd.tst bs=1024 count=1048576
1048576+0 records in
1048576+0 records out
1073741824 bytes transferred in 21.373114 secs (50237968 bytes/sec)

The dd on the other raid-volume (12 disks) did also comlete in approx.
22 sec. So no difference when I lower the number of disks in an array.

Frame size on the storage-device is 2112 (bytes).

regards
Claus