some simple nfs-benchmarks on 5.4 RC2

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Tue Apr 19 05:25:58 PDT 2005

Claus Guttesen wrote:
>>When you say 'ide->fiber' that could mean a lot of things.  Is this a single
>>drive, or a RAID subsystem?
>

> Yes, I do read it different now ;-)
>
> It's a raid 5 with 12 400 GB drives split into two volumes (where I
> performed the test on one of them).

What does gstat look like on the server when you are doing this?

Also - does a dd locally on the server give the same results?  You should get
about double that I would estimate locally direct to disk.  What about a dd over
NFS?

What is the server spending its time doing? (top?)

If you are looking for the best performance, you might try a RAID 0+1 (or 10
possibly) instead of RAID 5.

Eric