decreasing interrupt CPU load

Oleg Gawriloff barzog at telecom.by
Wed Oct 20 05:10:20 PDT 2004

Hello!

Currently we have router on FreeBSD 4.10-R on SMP 2*PIII 1Ghz. 5sec average
traffic trhough fxp on Intel 82550 is about 12kpps (26Mbit/sec). CPU Load on
interrupts shown in top and systat -v 1 always above 40%. We've tried to
enable polling with HZ=1000, but cpu load does not change, instead round
trip time increased from 1ms to 20ms. Also we've tried link0, no success. Is
any other options to decrease interrupt cpu load? May be enabling fast
forwarding, change fxp to em or bge NIC? Is there exist any drawbacks from
enabling fast forwarding?

With best regards, Oleg Gawriloff.