I've ran out of ideas

Aaron Glenn aaron.glenn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 03:34:13 GMT 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:16:51 +1100 (EST), Luke <lukem at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Increasing the block size of the disk need not imply that the application
> is issuing larger reads.

Hmm, true.

> I have not suggested that you increase the blocksize further. Please read
> the above points again.
>
> As Sean pointed out, if your web server supports sendfile then that would
> be a good option.

Indeed I misread your email. I do have some sort optimized thttpd
package that was sent to me off list. I'll try that out in a few
minutes here. I'm also searching for the patch on arch@ that Sean
mentioned.

> Your recent post which showed poor performance from /dev/zero does bring
> the theory that your disk is the bottleneck into question, however you may
> still find it is worth trying the above suggestions.

I neglected to mention those numbers were taken while pushing 45Mbps
out the network. If you add them up you get 93Mbps.

aaron.glenn