I've ran out of ideas

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Thu Nov 18 15:29:19 PST 2004

> I'm pushing large files via thttpd over low-end hardware (celeron
> 1.8GHz, 512MB RAM, UATA 100 drive) and, out of the box, FreeBSD
> 5.3-RELEASE topped out at 40Mbps sustained. After creating a separate
> partition with a much larger blocksize, it's hit 50Mbps sustained but
> won't go past 54Mbps at all.

Are you using thttpd+sendfile(2)?  If so, I'm going to guess you've
exhausted your sendfile(2) buffers.  Can you run top to see what the
state of your thttpd process is?  I've bumped into this numerous times.
  If you look through arch@ there's a patch from me to change the
behavior of sendfile(2) so that it returns with ENOBUFs instead of
blocking when your sendfile buffers are exhausted.  I would've thought
that alc@'s work on sendfile(2) would've prevented this from happening,
but you may have just exhausted them in which case you're getting
killed by this.   -sc

--
Sean Chittenden