Bad performance on alpha? (make buildworld)

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 25 11:30:57 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 12:19:15AM -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> >Maybe in theory, but not necessarily in practice.
>
> It's been a few years since I'd written a compiler, but my viewpoint isn't
> based entirely on theory.
> Your technical description is accurate, but the points you are making here
> seem to support my argument, rather than contradict what I said.  :-)

You're assuming you're writing a compiler targeting _1_ specific
architecture.  It doesn't matter what is possible, what matters is what
GCC does.  Please go analysis GCC and report the deficiencies.  I
personally would love to know what they are, and how to make GCC do
better on non-x86 platforms.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)