realistic web benchmark

"Igor Shmukler" shmukler at mail.ru
Sun Feb 1 20:23:22 PST 2004

> > I hope this is not entirely off topic.
> >
> > I am looking for some kind of realistic httpd performance benchmark.
> > There are number of papers discussing how such benchmark could be
> > constructed, but I was cusrious whether there is one available in a
> > source form.
>
> In the past, I've used webstone for some web performance benchmarking.
> Recently, we've also been contacted with regard to a test suite named Web
> Polygraph.

I probably was not 100% clear when I asked the question. Sorry. I am looking for
test that would tell me how will server perform in the field on WAN.

Webstone is a bit naive about benchmarking. It allows comparison of server
scores, however the fact that a particular OS/server combination scores higher
does not guaranatee that it will have higher thoughput in real life situation.

I scanned briefly through Web Polygraph's documentation and it seems like more
powerful tool, but I could not find how to emulate large delays and packet loss
common for WANs.

IS.