%cpu in system - squid performance in FreeBSD 5.3

Sean Chittenden sean at chittenden.org
Thu Dec 23 13:11:22 PST 2004

> As a follow up to the below (original message at the very bottom), I
> installed a load balancer in front of the machines which terminates the
> tcp connections from clients and opens up a few, persistent connections
> to each server over which requests are pipelined.  In this scenario
> everything is copasetic:

Interesting... I wonder what the lock contention path is between the VM
and network stack.  Has anyone else noticed this in their testing?  Did
you try a post-5.3 release or not?  rwatson@ just MFC'ed a bunch of
network locking fixes to RELENG_5, but none-stand out in my mind as
being something that'd potentially fix your issue.  Actually, he
probably knows better than anyone what this could be.  Some of the post
RELENG_5_3 commits by alc@ could explain this, however, and is why I
ask what the specific version/build time is for your release.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden