postgresql on FreeBSD 5.3 and high load

Claus Guttesen cguttesen at yahoo.dk
Sun Dec 5 12:44:35 PST 2004

> Have you looked to see if you're using spin locks or
> not?  Search for
> "amd64 x86_64 spin lock" in PostgreSQL's archives.
> I think spin locks
> were disabled for amd64.  When you're at a load of
> 70, look in
> pg_catalog.pg_locks to see if you have any ungranted
> locks.

Thank you for your input.

Searched postgresl.org's archives, both wihtin and via
google, but only found information that related
primarily to Linux.

> Also, is your application primarily read?  You may
> want to investigate
> using pgpool as a way of reducing the overhead for
> connection startup.

There are more reads than writes, but I haven't found
the exact numbers (yet).

> Another option is to use memcached and remove some
> queries from the
> database all together.  -sc

I will take a look at these utilities, but will wait
until January  next year, where the load have
decreased. Right now I'll throw some more hardware at
it, a quad-opteron  which was planned (in May next
year), and will go through the php-code to optimize.

I increased the shared_buffers to 65536, but it did
not change much. I'll decrease it to 16384. Read a
thread related to 'mbwait postgresql freebsd' which I
found at freebsd's site. This suggested that a (too)
high value could be counterproductive.

regards
Claus