spreading partitions over multiple drivers

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Tue Aug 31 11:20:32 PDT 2004

Hi,

Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> That's why I worked this out.  For example when compiling sources or
> ports, a "make build" would essentially be reading from /usrc/src|ports,
> writing to /usr/obj, and "make install" would be reading from /usr/obj
> and writing to /usr.
>
> For the rest, the most essential (IMO) is the separation of system (/,
> /usr) and data (/home, /var/www), and of course spreading of swap.
>
> Any other thoughts about this?

Not for this usage.

> Fragmentation may be LESS of a problem with UFS, but a moving target
> like one big /usr (incl src, obj, ports) will get fragmented as well.

This is how you see it. I have not heard that there is any tool to help
here.

I would not call this fragmentation. It is more like spreading the files
from one directory all over the disk.

> Splitting up partitions would reduce this fragmentation (as you are
> essentially defining some "super large blocks"), and may increase
> filesystem stability in case of crashes etc.

It might not affect stability but it increases the chances to fix a
problem in case of a crash.

I never thought of this.

Erich